Code highlighting the easy way

So after relaunching this site using Umbraco and the default Bootstrap 4 theme (blog) i realised there was no <code> highlighting included in bootstrap.

After some quick Googling i came across a very useful JavaScript library called highlight.js this library is able to auto match up to 176 languages and colour code them accordingly.

This seemed pretty nifty and much easier than codiing a ton of css myself.

To implement this you just need to add 3 very small lines into the <head> if the site:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="//">
<script src="//"></script>

Then wrap your code with the following:


If the auto highlighting doesn't work or you would like to use a different style you can manually set it like so:

<pre><code class="html">...</code></pre>

Or if you would like to disable code highlighting altogether:

<pre><code class="nohighlight">...</code></pre>

This is just a real basic implementation of this JavaScript library, take a look over on the project website to see about custom initialization, downloading the library and creating a custom library.


Bye WordPress... Hello Umbraco

After many years fighting with Script Kiddies and people trying to break into my blog (not sure why they would) i decided to stop using the inherently unsecure WordPress.

This is down to 1. the above reason with script kiddies and 2. using a piece of software called Umbraco at work.

Umbraco is a DotNet based CMS, i have it running on IIS7 and DotNet 4.7, to find out more info just visit their site here.

It's a neat bit of kit, with a brilliant community behind it!

Everytime i have had a issue while rebuilding this site or building a client site at work has seen someone drop in and lend a hand within 15 - 20mins of my post!
Even at weekends!

It seems to be so much easier to use and work with if your a developer (I wouldn't recommend it to a novice)...

As you can see there are still some bugs with the site... One of the biggest being <code> tags not yet being supported, i am working on this and hopefully will have this working soon.

I have now added the code highlight bits, ill follow up with a post showing how i accomplished this soon.

Install PHP 7.0 on CentOS 7 + Virtualmin (Multiple PHP Versions)

So I finally decided to move my blog over to PHP 7.0, I'm a little slow when it comes to making changes on my server however I have been running PHP 7.0 on the work server for a while and it seems to be faster than the old PHP 5.6.

If you would like to know how it's done then read below as it extremely easy and took me literally less than 5 mins to do...

So first off login to your terminal and go to root similar to the following:

sudo su

then simply run the following commands:

yum install scl-utils

yum install

yum install

yum install php70

yum install php70-php-mysqlnd

yum install php70-php-curl

yum install php70-php-simplexml

yum install php70-php-devel php70-php-gd php70-php-json php70-php-mcrypt php70-php-mbstring
php70-php-opcache php70-php-pear php70-php-pecl-apcu php70-php-pecl-geoip
php70-php-pecl-imagick php70-php-pecl-json-post php70-php-pecl-memcache php70-php-pecl-xmldiff
php70-php-pecl-zip php70-php-pspell php70-php-soap php70-php-tidy php70-php-xml php70-php-xmlrpc

You can then find it installed here:


You can then add it Virtualmin by doing the following:

System Settings -> Re-Check Config

If you want to make it standard then it's here:

System Settings -> Server Templates -> Default -> Apache Website -> Default PHP version

Sources:Virtualmin Documentation & Virtualmin Forums

A little housework

I have done a little housework on here, so i have finally updated the portfolio to show off a small selection of my work, I will add to this as time goes on.

I have also made a rubish logo to replace the text on the header, i have also enabled the top bar and moved the Github link up there along with my social profile links.

I plan starting from next year to post updates more regularly relating Wordpress, PHP, HTML5, CSS3, jQuery, CentOS and alike.

Released a working version of TaskFreak 0.94

I have released a working version of TaskFreak 0.94, it is tested with MySQL 5.5.

It can be found here on my GitHub page.

The fix consisted of replacing the line:


with the line:


In the following 2 files:

mysql.init.php and mysql.init.sql